The Official Website Of Silsden AFC - City of Liverpool FC 2-1 Silsden AFC

News Events Mobile Find Us
City of Liverpool FC 2-1 Silsden AFC
SILSDEN AFC 2016-17 Season's review.
27th Feb 17
City of Liverpool FC 2-1 Silsden AFC

The (NWCFL Div 1) 2016-17.              Saturday, February 18th 2017            





CITY OF LIVERPOOL FC 2v 1  SILSDENAFC   Connolly 49, Williams 56                       Bunch 35     Att. 648












With successive victories against Alsager Town and StHelens the Cobbydalers travelled to Merseyside full of confidence although they faced a tough task against second in the table, City of Liverpool FC.

The City of Liverpool FC were formed last summer along the lines Ebsfleet United, with fans paying an annual subscription to become director-owners. Unlike Ebsfleet, who started with 32,000 members but saw only 1800 members at the end of the 2009/2010 season, the Liverpool model is based on local fans who want to be involved in supporting their local club. A crowd of 648 turned up for the game against the Cobbydalers.

Although they are playing their home games at present at the Delta Taxis' Stadium, the home of Bootle FC, plans are well advanced for their own stadium next season.

The Cobbydalers, with and unchanged side, started with the wind at their backs and the strong sun in their opponents faces. Silsden were on the attack from the kick-off with Chris Wademan having a shot blocked and Kyle Hancock hitting the rebound into the arms of keeper Stephen Longrigg. Matthew Williams broke from the midfield for the "Purples" but he was soon challenged by Josh Eastwood, the ball going for a corner. Hancock swung the ball into the box but Danny Illingworth's header cleared the bar.

Another strong run by Eastwood ended withHancock firing over the bar after he was set up by Luke Taylor. At the other end Matthew Williams curled a free kick wide before Josh Kaine cleared Daley Woods' corner off the goal-line. Will Storrie tracked back to break up another City attack before bursting down the left to earn a corner at the other end.

The game was flowing end to end, Kaine clearing again after Williams played a one-two on the edge of the Silsden penalty area. On thirty four minutes Wademan hit the post from close range from a cross by Hancock. The ball ricoched off the keeper for a corner which led to a scramble in the goalmouth, eventually Danny BUNCH netted from close range to put the Yorkshire men in the lead.

The Merseysiders, response was immediate,with John Connolly heading Barry Moore's cross wide. However Silsden were searching for a second. Storrie went close with a volley after Illingworth had won a header and then Bunch headed over. When the City keeper advanced out of his area to clear the ball, Eastwood intercepted the clearance and tried a speculative lob which cleared the bar. At the other end Illingworth rose above all else to clear with a powerful header.

It was clear from the noise coming from the home dressing  room that the City manager, Simon Burton, was unhappy with his teams performance and that he expected a massive improvement  in the second half. In contrast, Danny Forrest stressed the need "to keep it tight for the first 10 minutes when the elements would favour the home side".

Unfortunately the home side pressed back the Cobbydalers, from the kick off, with John Connolly shooting narrowly wide after 50 seconds. The equaliser came on forty-nine minutes when Matthew Williams curled in a right footed free kick from the left. CONNOLLY headed it home to notch his 7th goal in 9 league appearances. Kaine managed to deny David Forbes before the home side's claims for a penalty were turned down. However an in-swinging corner by Woods was headed home by Matthew WILLIAMS on fifty-fiveminutes.

Liverpool were rampant, Forbes was wide with a header and neat footwork from Connolly almost brought a third goal. Silsden's right back, Charlie Holt, was injured and had to be substituted before Callum Jakovlevs made an outstanding save to keep the Cobbydalers still in the game. Good defending by Eastwood denied Tom Peterson but when Silsden were reduced to 10 men they had a mountain to climb. Hancock was brought down by Roberts, who was cautioned and Silsden were awarded a free kick. Hancock was booked for reacting and threeminutes later received another yellow card for petulance.

Illingworth was pushed up into the City area for the last few minutes but,  despite the aerial presence, the Cobbydalers couldn't pull a goal back. Forrest was disappointed that the players hadn't followed what was expected of them but it was always going to be a challenge facing a team who, if they win their game in hand, would be top the table.

On Friday evening the Cobbydalers entertain Chadderton FC, kick off 7.45pm.

CITY OF LIVERPOOL FC. Longrigg, Camozi, Moore, Roberts, Dalton, Weston, Peterson(Gregson78), Williams, Forbes(Cookson 85), Connolly, Woods. Subs not used. Rey, McEllinSpearritt.                                      SILSDEN AFC. Jacovlevs, Holt, Vincent, Kaine, Illingworth, Bunch, Storrie, Eastwood(Davis 80), Taylor(Henderson 78), Wademan, Hancock. Subs not used. Cox,  Forrest.      Referee. Mr. B. Moosa.   Assistants. Mr.A. Fowler and Mr. L. Walters.



Enter the town or city where your located and press the get direction button below to find your way to the Silsden ground.
The Silsden website is apart of the Eighty Nine Media club group - Find out more click here
Home - About Us - Advertising - Support - General Enquiries - Getting Started
This website is the only official website of Silsden and is Copyright Silsden (the "Club"). Commercial reproduction, distribution or transmission of any part or parts of this website or any information contained therein by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the Club is not permitted.
  Copyright Eighty Nine Media Ltd 2010 - 2017. (All design, layout, forms, widgets and coding is copyright of Eighty Nine Media. Commercial reproduction, distribution or transmission of any part or parts of this website or any information contained therein by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of Eighty Nine Media is not permitted)